IoT developers will have to select the right MCU to use in their product that will be the most suitable for its budget and needs. There are 3 types of MCUs, the general-purpose MCU, with or without cryptographic engine, and the security MCU, which directly corresponds to low, mid and high budget developer, respectively.
Here are some of the considerations that have to be made:
1. Building a team of security experts is necessary. However, this will become a fixed and huge business cost for device makers.
2. Device makers must spend much time on architecting, analyzing, designing, coding and debugging the firmware protection algorithm and programs.
3. Using the security MCUs to protect firmware is safer than other MCUs, but its cost is much higher.
4. Unlike general purpose MCUs, it takes time to familiarize with different system in security MCUs and requires developers different skills of coding and debugging.
5. It should be taken into account whether or not the performance impact (e.g., execution time, flash memory usage, power consumption, etc.) will be affected.
6. The solution of firmware protection must cover its entire lifecycle, including delivering the firmware to manufacturers, programming the firmware into the ICs, updating the firmware, etc.
7. To save you from all these hassles, ECOLUX Chip Security Services provides you with a quick and easy way to secure your product’s firmware.